Eek, the best of episode season one episode of the Dead Headspace podcast is now live!
Join the first hour and twenty minutes where we discuss our top reads of 2020. After that timestamp, we jump into our favorite moments of the show in season one!
Give the episode a listen here:
Favorite Books of 2020
Interested in learning more about the books I mentioned on the show? Here are the links to my blog posts in order of when it was referenced along with some notes!
- Clown In A Cornfield by Adam Cesare
- Cassie’s activity book features Adam as a half clown! Stay tuned to her shop for future preorders of the book!
- Merry Fuckin’ Christmas and Other Yuletide Shit by Kevin J. Kennedy
- On the show I mentioned that he had a couple of short story collections of just his work, here’s the other one (so far!): Vampiro and Other Strange Tales of the Macabre: A Collection of Short Horror Stories
- Dead Meat: Day 6 by Nick Clausen
- My gosh, I was very wrong with this one! I thought these started as short stories, but they are longer than I thought! Day 1 was just under two hundred pages and was released on October 8th, 2019, and the latest, Day 6, was released on December 15th, 2020. The story that give readers background, Day 0, was released January 24th, 2020.
- I also misspoke in this segment when I mentioned other works by Nick- I said I began working with Nick Clausen by reading his short story collections, but I meant just his short stories and novellas… D’oh!
- Snowball by Gregory Bastianelli
- To clarify our confusion, Mr. Bastianelli is a New Hampshire native.
- Worst Laid Plans by Samantha Kolesnik
- Anger is an Acid by Read Michael Clark
- The Perfectly Fine House by Stephen Kozeniewski & Wile E. Young
Here are a few other books that the other hosts mentioned that were on my list as well:
- True Crime by Samantha Kolesnik
- We Are Wolves: An Anthology compiled by Gemma Amor, Laurel Hightower, and Cynthia Pelayo
- Halldark Holidays edited by Gabino Iglesias
- Crossroads by Laurel Hightower
- Magpie Coffin by Wile E. Young
My Favorite Clips from Season One
Episode 5 with Michael Clark
In this clip, I love that Michael Clark discusses picking up a book after seeing the note that it was going to be a film. While I’m not a huge fan of buying movie-tie in covers, I respect the marketing strategy and think it’s brilliant! I thought I had the movie version of HORNS, but AH I WAS WRONG. I must have replaced that one with the hardcover…
I DO have About A Boy by Nick Hornby. It’s got and Hugh Grant and Nicholas Holt, and I love them both! I had a massive crush on Hugh Grant growing up and still love him! I also have the movie version of Thinking In Pictures by Temple Grandin which I read in college for a class and I highly recommend.
Episode 42 with Nico Bell
Brennan’s new pen name… this section just cracks me up!
Literally all of episode 28 with the folks from HOST
This episode finally got me to subscribe to Shudder. At one point Brennan said to stop if you hadn’t watched. I stopped, subscribed to Shudder that night, and dove into the movie!
Here are some of the 2021 upcoming releases that I mentioned on the show that I’m really looking forward to:
- Cruel Summer by Wesley Southard – Out now!
- In Darkness, Shadows Breathe by Catherine Cavendish | January 19
- The Survivors by Jane Harper | February 2
- Paradise Club by Tim Meyer | February 5
- A Bright Enchanted Suffering by Eric LaRocca | March 30
- The Mind Is Dark & Deep by Eric LaRocca | June
- Slattery Falls by Brennan LaFaro | August
- Rosie Paints With Ghosts by Cassie Daley | September
- Someone To Share My Nightmares by Sonora Taylor | October
- Six Rooms by Gemma Amor | Sometime in 2021
The Dead Headspace podcast is available on all your favorite podcast platforms. Subscribe today and make sure to follow them on Twitter!