Ah, October. My favorite month! It went by far too quickly!
This month was filled with some name change related stress and craziness, but I made great progress! I’ve almost reached the end of my list of updates! I just have to change the utilities and get my bank accounts settled so I can close one and move over to Alex’s bank fully. I cannot wait to have everything done!
I also had to get a flu shot AND a tetanus shot this month… The tetanus shot, surprisingly, didn’t hurt nearly as much as I remember my last one hurting, though my arm was sore for over a week! My poor nurse had me sit in the room to relax for a few minutes before she would let me drive after she stuck me. I will just never understand why I’m totally fine with tattoo needles, but give me a medical shot, and I’m a fainting mess…
And then I learned the hard way… That you should never wear a romper with tight shoulder straps the day you get a tetanus shot… getting in and out of the whole thing each time you have to pee will be a very, very painful process. To make matters worse, I learned this lesson the day I traveled to Portland, Maine for a wedding.
But, the sore arm was pretty easy to ignore during the afternoon of the 6th of this month, because I got celebrate my friend and college roommate when she got married to her soulmate!! Doesn’t she look absolutely STUNNING?!
We were gifted something from my friend Amber, who was one of my bridesmaids, and her husband Robby. How incredible is this?! She gifted us the speech they wrote for us, which Amber gave at the reception, and a beautiful drawing of my favorite flower which now lives on my work desk at home!
- 4 Stars- 4
- 3 Stars- 4
- An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green
- Ghosts of Salem by Sam Baltrusis
- The Nightmarchers by J. Lincoln Fenn
- Unbury Carol by Josh Malarian
- 2 Stars- 1
- 1 Star- 0
- House On Elm Lake (2017 Film)
- Phew… This one was not for me. The acting, the “gore” level, the makeup, and the shaky camera work… just yikes. I ended up walking away from this one. Alex kept watching to see where it was going. 1/5
- Room on the Broom (2012 Short)
- I meant to check out this book, so when my library hold came in and I was handed a DVD, I was pretty thrown off. I still checked it out and gave it a watch that same afternoon. Oh my goodness, this was quite the happy accident! This movie was SO CUTE! The target audience for this one is definitely young kids, but I absolutely LOVED it. Simon Pegg was the narrator, which was perfect, and I just loved the characters! 5/5
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993 Film)
- Yet another re-watch 🙂 5/5
- The Haunting of Hill House (2018 Netflix Series)
- OH MY GOD. This show is incredible! If you haven’t watched yet, I highly recommend it! I love how the story is organized; the episodes are very character heavy, and the storyline loops back on itself time and time again as we see each situation from various different characters perspectives. All of the actors have done an amazing job, especially the kids! I also love that there are TONS of ghosts hidden in the occasional scene. Some are easy to spot, some took me a minute to see, and I’m sure I’ve also missed a bunch! I cannot wait to re-watch this series to pick up on what I had missed the first time around! That all being said, I did have a few irks with the show and the last two episodes definitely weren’t my favorite… 4/5
- The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017 Film)
- I watched this on a sick day… and it was just perfect. Such a funny movie! I’m a total sucker for movies like this when I’m not feeling well. 4/5
- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix Series)
- Alex and I started watching this series after we finished Hill House. I’m really enjoying it so far, but I have to say that I absolutely hate the way it was filmed! There is way too much blurriness and it gives me a headache and that definitely takes away from my overall thoughts about the show.
- Riverdale (TV Series)
- After my coworkers told me that they think I would love this show, I decided to give it a go. While I’m not the biggest fan of high school dramas, I gotta say that I am loving this show so far!
- I logged into Pottermore this month and saw that there was a new feature that I hadn’t seen yet. You can explore Hogwarts and the grounds finding 100 little orbs of light that tell you bits and pieces about the story and the history. I found 96 of them in one go, but then the movement of the screen started to make me feel wicked motion-sick, so I had to stop and haven’t been able to go back without the same result. It honestly wasn’t as exciting as I hoped it would be… but it was cute.
- Alex and I tried sipping sodas from a local shop in Portland, Maine called Vena’s Fizz House. Alex had a strawberry rhubarb old fashioned sipper, and I had a raspberry lemonade vintage sipper. This was quite the interesting experience… Neither of us came even close to finishing our small drinks, however, we still want to go back and try one of their alcoholic drinks someday!
- There was some champagne consumed at my friend’s wedding, and of course we had to do this cheesy photo:
- Listening to:
- I have been totally hooked on The No Sleep Podcast! I listened to one of the newer episodes one day at work, and then moved on to download and listen to all of the episodes from 2011, 2012, and 2013. I just could not stop listening! I listened when driving to and from work, when I was out running errands, when I did laundry, cleaned the house or did dished, while I put plastic on the windows, while I did some tedious tasks at work, I’m even listing right now as I type this! It’s so spooky! I definitely recommend it. However, I will say that a handful of stories so far were a little too much for me (too dark, too gross, poor narration), and I had to skip them. But the vast majority are right up my alley!
- In the bookish community:
- These awesome things happened! I’m so grateful that I was able to help this team promote Our Final Halloween!
- Monthly bookish related haul:
- Alex got me this awesome shirt back in September but I totally forgot to include it in my wrap-up last month.
- I was also gifted this delicious and wonderfully clever tea by my friend Lindsay! How awesome are these?!
- I also purchased this amazingly comfortable Hufflepuff robe for my work Halloween party! I LOVE it so much.
- And of course, here is my book haul for the month:
- Book of the Month:
- I was so pumped to see my box waiting for me when I got home one day after work! This month I had picked An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green, but unfortunately this one was a bit of a miss for me…
- Book Club:
- I miss this month’s book club meeting again 🙁
- Looking forward to:
- In November, Alex and I usually head to my hometown for Thanksgiving, depending on the weather. Fingers crossed we don’t get a snowstorm!
In Case You Missed It
- Literary Halloween Costumes You May Already Have In Your Closet
- September 7th, 2018 – My Wedding
- [Book Blogger Hop] Horror vs Urban Fantasy
- Kickstarter Project: Our Final Halloween
- The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag
- [Book Blogger Hop] Literary Halloween Costume
- [Book Blogger Hop] A Horror Recommendation For Non-Horror Readers
- 2018 Halloween Work Party- Harry Potter Theme
- The Zombie Apocalypse Book Tag